War with Philistine Giants
20 Then it happened [a]in the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle, that Joab led out the army and ravaged the land of the sons of Ammon, and came and besieged Rabbah. But David stayed in Jerusalem. And Joab struck Rabbah and overthrew it. 2 David took the crown of [b]their king from his head, and he found it to weigh a [c]talent of gold, and there was a precious stone in it; and it was placed on David’s head. And he brought out the spoils of the city, a very great amount. 3 He brought out the people who were in it, and [d]put them to work at saws, iron picks, and axes. And David did the same to all the cities of the sons of Ammon. Then David and all the people returned to Jerusalem.
4 Now it came about after this, that war [e]broke out at [f]Gezer with the Philistines; then Sibbecai the Hushathite [g]killed Sippai, one of the descendants of the [h]giants, and they were subdued. 5 And there was war with the Philistines again, and Elhanan the son of Jair [i]killed Lahmi the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver’s beam. 6 Again there was war at Gath, where there was a man of great stature who had twenty-four fingers and toes, six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot; and he also was descended from the giants. 7 When he taunted Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimea, David’s brother, [j]killed him. 8 These were descended from the giants in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants.
- 1 Chronicles 20:1 Lit at the return of the year
- 1 Chronicles 20:2 Another reading is Malcam from, a variant of the Ammonite god Milcom
- 1 Chronicles 20:2 About 75 lb. or 34 kg
- 1 Chronicles 20:3 So 2 Sam 12:31; MT sawed them apart with
- 1 Chronicles 20:4 Lit stood up
- 1 Chronicles 20:4 In 2 Sam 21:18, Gob
- 1 Chronicles 20:4 Lit struck
- 1 Chronicles 20:4 Heb Raphah, and so in vv 6, 8
- 1 Chronicles 20:5 Lit struck
- 1 Chronicles 20:7 Lit struck