Prayer for Defense against Enemies.
For the music director; on stringed instruments. A [a]Maskil of David, [b]when the Ziphites came and said to Saul, “Is David not keeping himself hidden among us?”
54 Save me, God, by Your name,
And [c]vindicate me by Your power.
2 Hear my prayer, God;
Listen to the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers have risen against me
And violent men have sought my [d]life;
They have not set God before them. Selah
4 Behold, God is my helper;
The Lord is [e]the sustainer of my soul.
5 [f]He will pay back the evil to my enemies;
[g]Destroy them in Your [h]faithfulness.
- Psalm 54 Title Possibly Contemplative; or Didactic; or Skillful Psalm
- Psalm 54 Title 1 Sam 23:19; 26:1
- Psalm 54:1 Lit judge
- Psalm 54:3 Or soul
- Psalm 54:4 Lit as those who sustain
- Psalm 54:5 LXX; MT The evil will return
- Psalm 54:5 Or Put to silence
- Psalm 54:5 Or truth
- Psalm 54:6 Or With a voluntary offering
- Psalm 54:7 Or it; i.e., His name
- Psalm 54:7 Or distress